Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sombrero and a Quienceañera





We live in a world where political incorrectness is frowned on. There are instances where things are said inappropriately, at the wrong place, wrong moment, by the wrong person or simply just wrong! It is truly hard to decipher what crosses the line and what does not, I admit. I have yet to draw my own boundaries, especially when it comes to gender, race, and religion. To me little sexist joke is funny and never hurt anyone- (This is probably wrong for me to say, being a woman and all) haha
being a Latina- some jokes are funny especially the ones making fun of growing up in America (George Lopez, Mencia, Alex Reymundo.. etc.) even Anjelah Johnson's "Nail Salon" skit is funny, she narrates the experience that many of us (women) have when visiting a nail shop; complete with a Vietnamese woman's accent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o ** Check it out**

"Sombrero and a Quienceañera" is the title of this entry because while the bus drove through the e USC/ MLK Jr Area, there was an older African American gentleman- in his 60s.. maybe. He shared his $3 million dollar architecture project with the passengers. He was speaking quite loudly.. his story didn't seem too interesting until I heard: MEXICAN SOMBRERO and a QUIENCEANERA! these two words in a sentence sound funny to me especially coming out this particula gentleman's sentence.. Was he making fun of those two Mexican staples? Was he generalizing?
He shared his unemployment story with the Berkeley grad Computer Programmer guy that always enters the bus at the Florence and Crenshaw stop ;) (something I also overheard). He was very articulate and mentioned big firms, projects and buildings in the LA area- but still, something did not seem right. Then he went on to say he was divorced and had not seen his kids in years, he was unsure if they had moved with their Norwegian mother to Mexico or New Mexico but when he made a vist he would surely take his daughter A MEXICAN SOMBRERO and celebrate her QUINCEANERA!!! to other people this may sound ignorant or improper but it made me laugh :) ... hey! at least he knows about the Mexican culture, right?
What is improper though is a topless "gringa" inebriated on the beach of cabo san lucas wearing one an screaming, "Quiero mas Tequila !" thinking this is Mexican culture.

Moral of the Story:
Sombreros and Quienceañeras have made their way into American culture. Sixty years ago these terms were probably alien to many Americans.. not the case anymore (at least in California). What they probably don't know is that a sombrero is worn all over Latin America and has different purposes: work, style, status , and occasion. The sombrero we see depicted and generalized in America and sold by the dozens in Rosarito is the sombrero mariachis wear in Jalisco. The word sombrero comes from "sombra" meaning shade in Spanish. So, a sombrero is not solely "Mexican."
On the other hand, a quienceañera is a coming of age celebration for girls which originated from the Tolteca and Aztec traditions. Although speaking to the UNAM secretary at my workplace, a Quience is a celebration formulated by  the Spaniards in the New World. It is beleived that after the celebration a girl got engaged and moved into her future husband's home. Now it symbolizes (it did for me) a big dress and the permission to "date". When I was 12 I asked my dad when I could date, he said 15 and once I was 15 he changed it to 18! hahah
My quince meant I had a new cell phone and lots of money!  :) it was indeed, the day I felt like a true señorita.












No comments:

Post a Comment