Friday, February 18, 2011

Going "Green"

For 5 months I have been relying on public transportation in Mexico, Guatemala. To my surprise Mexico had a very impressive and effective system with subways and city buses not to mention, the popular 1st and 2nd class buses and terminals that get tourists and nationals alike to and fro big city destinations. My favorite was ADN, we had comfortable seats that leaned all the way back and we even had a snack bag- way better than the Greyhound.. But I must admit the snack bag got me ! :) Transportation in Guatemala-- hmmm.. questionable, but interesting. Lets just say you get to ride in an old 1980s school bus next to about 5 people in the same row and when it is a popular destination you get to stand. The driver is a fearless son of a gun that loves his amazing job.. or does he? Truly admirable though are the "ayudantes" (the aides), they strap your belongings to the top of the bus while the bus is driving away... its like an India Jones movie!! I had other experiences in the "micro" (pronounced mee-cro) - short for microbus. Overall I enjoyed the down time and people watching, it was always something interesting.
So with all these experiences I thought: "Piece of cake, I'm in LA I can get around just fine without a car"

**Sidenote: I sold my bluberry blue Acura Integra to finance my trip-- NO REGRETS.**

Say that again?? Well it has been a bit hard to get around BUT perfect timing to GO GREEN and save money for more important things. Job hunting with all its challenges has proven to be difficult, however the "Down time" I get in the bus and the metro is the cherry on the top of my day....WELL sometimes..
Other times it is stressful to hear people complain and be disrespectful with each other. At the same time it is an eye opener, and I feel familiar when passing through the poorest areas of LA I feel the way I felt when in Guatemala.. there is Hope. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment